I was wondering today how many vegetarians go to prison, and what they eat when they are there. I have found vegetarians to be less likely to own a gun, and to have a greater desire to solve problems with their brains…I started to think about the standard American diet, and what percentage of those incarcerated in the USA are vegetarian or vegan…or even just trying to maintain their health while imprisoned.
I didn’t search long enough to find a chart with the statistic, but my search did lead me to an article entitled, “Vegan Diet Impacts California Prison" with amazing stats about a Private Prison in CA which offered prisoners a choice between a regular CA Prison Diet, or a Vegan Diet. 85% of the prisoners chose the vegan option, and there was a noticeable difference in their behavior and in their health. The private prison had an astoundingly low recidivism rate of 2%, while elsewhere in CA, the rate was 85%!
"In testimonials, inmates asserted that the surprisingly good-tasting food led them to feel better, have greater energy, increased stamina and reduced problems with acne. Indeed the effectiveness of a vegan vegetarian diet in rehabilitation has been scientifically validated."
Pretty amazing, huh?
P.S. Unfortunately, there was another issue involving phone calls that caused California to cancel their contract with the Moreland Prison Facility:
"Once operational, this facility saw remarkable results for seven years, before a dispute over inmate phone revenue led the State of California to cancel their contract with Mooreland."
Read entire article: “Vegan Diet Impacts California Prison”
Winner of the Annual Pt Reyes Station, CA Guacamole Contest!)
1) Cut ALL the dipping veggies - so you can eat the Guacamole immediately.
2) “Mash” the avocados, in their half-shells.
3) Scoop out each 1/2 avocado shell with a spoon into a mixing bowl. Stir.
4) IMPORTANT!! IMMEDIATELY Add Lemon Juice to keep it from turning brown. Avos stay fresh for a very short time once opened, this slows down the aging process.
5) Add Tamari Soy Sauce and Garlic to taste. Mix.
6) You might want to set a small amount aside now, so you can do a taste test before and after adding my secret ingredient - Nutritional Yeast Flakes.
7) Add Salt if needed.
8) Add the diced tomatoes, and green or white onions. Stir, Serve & ENJOY!
NOTE* If not eating it right away, cover the top completely with Lemon Slices, to keep it fresh. Or Saran Wrap works just as well, maybe better.